A Cornell University Affiliate Center for
Equine Sports Medicine & Critical Care
111 Plainfield Ave.
Elmont, NY 11003
Phone: 516 488-4510
Fax: 516 488-4917
Mission, Vision, and Values
At Cornell Ruffian Equine Specialists, we offer the highest level of specialized equine veterinary care. It is the only way we can ignite the potential that each of our patients brings to every event.
At the Cornell Ruffian Equine Specialists, the surgeons and medical team aspire to assimilate knowledge gained on all fronts – at the track, in the show ring, at the research bench, and in the Center – to deliver paradigm-shifting veterinary medical care that continually improves the veterinary health and well-being of the world’s equine community.
The board-certified team at the Cornell Ruffian Equine Specialists provide elite equine athletes with career-sustaining and quality-of-life-saving veterinary medical care.
We will have delivered mission-driven veterinary care when:
- Patient-centered medicine: The health, safety, and quality of life of our patients direct our recommendations and guide our actions.
- Collaborative care: We collaborate with those who know the horse best and those whose research challenges conventional thinking – including referring veterinarians, the research community at Cornell University, and around the world, and the owners, trainers, and riders – to provide optimal care for our patients.
- A culture of learning: We are committed to an environment that promotes and inspires innovation and medical breakthroughs to improve patient comfort and athletic outcome.
- Professional partnerships: We assume a leadership role in the global equine community, delivering translational research on fracture break-down prevention and other evidence-based improvements to the referring veterinarian through education and scientific discovery.
- Civic-minded: We contribute to the local and professional equine communities, helping to problem-solve challenges and create a positive and purposeful ethos.
- Respect – We respect our clients, colleagues, co-workers and the horse by seeking to understand their experience and expectations. We communicate professionally, authentically, and proactively.
- Personal Responsibility – The medical team at the Cornell Ruffian Equine Specialists use initiative to identify solutions and improve outcomes for our patients and clients.
- Integrity – We act ethically in all of our dealings and deliver on our promises.